Permit Information

Pre-Application Form

The Pre-Application Form is required for all land use processes, with the exception of the Access/Address Permit Application and the Utility Application. Once the Pre-Application Form has been submitted, Planning staff will contact you to set up a Pre-Application meeting.  Forms that do not include all required information (including fees) will not be accepted.

Step 1 Graphic with link to download the application for death certificate Opens in new windowStep 2 Graphic regarding filling out the applicationStep 3 Graphic to upload the application

Download Pre-Application

Download the application (pdf).

Fill Out Application

Fill out and sign the application*.

Submit Documents

1. Submit printed application in person with appropriate application fee, or 

*To create an electronic signature in Adobe Acrobat, select the signature field and follow the instructions to create a digital signature.  You will be asked to create a local password and provide the location where you want your signature to be stored on your device.  Once you've completed the digital signature, your name, date and time will appear in the signature field.

**If you receive an error or your information does not upload, please do not try multiple times.  After the first error please contact GovPros for customer support.

The Planning Department will review the application for completeness. If your submission is incomplete, the payment will not be accepted. The Planning Department will call or email you with further guidance if needed.

Access Inside Corporate Limits of a City or Town

Contact the appropriate city or town.

Access/Address Information within Delta County

A Delta County Access Permit is required for all new driveways that access onto any Delta County Road.  Access permits are also required any time the use of the existing access is changed (i.e., agricultural to residential), and anytime the location of the access is moved.  Moving the location of the access may also cause the address for the property to be changed. The Access/Address Application is available online.

If your application requires a new road to be created, then you must select a road name using the Road Name Application.

Access onto a State or U.S. Highway

Colorado Department of Transportation
Engineering Division
2420 N. Townsend Ave.
Montrose, Colorado 81401

Building Permits

No building permits are required and no certificates of occupancy are issued for the construction and placement of any structures in the unincorporated area of Delta County.  Any questions involving snow loads or other construction questions will have to be directed toward a registered professional engineer/contractor.

Colorado State Electrical Inspection

The unincorporated area of Delta County is under the Colorado State Electrical Board Inspection. Contact:
Michael Branham
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO  80202
Office hours for questions and information: Weekdays 8-9 AM
State Electrical Permit Form(PDF file).

Colorado State Plumbing and Solar Thermal Inspection

The unincorporated area of Delta County is under the Colorado State Examining Board of Plumbers:
Alan Trickey
Gunnison, CO
303-869-3471 or toll free 855-470-4719
Office hours: In Delta on Tuesdays and Thursdays
State Plumbing Application Form (PDF)

Electric Service

Unincorporated Delta County:
Delta-Montrose Electric Association
Attn: Read Service
Austin, Colorado 81410

Natural Gas Service

Black Hills Energy
580 Highway 92
Delta, Colorado 81416

Land Use Guidelines

The Land Use Guidelines are for informational purposes to aid in understanding the Land Use Code P\process for all allowed and permitted uses. 

Septic Systems

See the Health Department's Septic Systems web page for detailed information regarding system system installation and repair.

Solar Installation

In the unincorporated areas of the County, no building permit is required for installation of solar energy systems serving residences or businesses, although State electrical and plumbing inspections are required as described on this page.  Additional information about solar energy system installations in both the unincorporated and incorporated areas of the County can be found on the County's Solar Energy page and on the Solarize Delta County website.

Subdivisions and Land Use

A review of street plans for 35-acre plus subdivisions is required. Refer to the “35-Acre Plus” Street Plan Regulations (20 KB, PDF file) for more information.

Telephone Service

The unincorporated area of Delta County is divided into two providers:
Read area south and west contact US West at 1-800-244-1111
Read area north and east contact TDS Delta County Tele-Comm 970-527-4801,
or toll-free 1-800-563-0012

Utility Permits

For details about utility permits, see the Utility Permits page.

Water Well Permits

Colorado Division of Water Resources
1871 East Main Street
Montrose, Colorado 81401