Open Burning

The State of Colorado and Delta County have restrictions on burning unwanted waste materials.

All persons conducting open burning, other than agricultural burning (as defined by the State of Colorado Air Pollution Control Division Regulation #9), are required to obtain an open burning permit from the Air Pollution Control Division, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Information regarding State open burning permits may be found at the Colorado Air Pollution Control Division website.

An application for a permit may be submitted by e-mail to:, or you can print out the application and submit it by fax to the Air Pollution Control Division at (303) 782-0278. For more information, call (970) 874-2165.

If you are planning to conduct any open burning, you must first contact the Delta County Dispatch (399-2955) on the day you plan to conduct the burn. (Details…)

The burning of household trash and other dense smoke-producing materials is prohibited in Delta County. The Delta County Environmental Health Division enforces the Delta County Open Burning Regulations.