Marriage Licenses

A license to marry in Colorado may be obtained during normal office hours in the County Clerk and Recorder’s Office. The license is valid upon issue and must be used within 35 days in the State of Colorado. The fee is $30.00, and cash is required in Delta County. A license issued in any other state is not valid in Colorado. Valid identification must be furnished by both parties in the form of passport, driver’s license, military ID, etc. A Social Security card or an affidavit stating that the individual does not have a Social Security number is also required. The requirements for the bride and groom are the same:
  • 18 and older – no parental consent is required.
  • 16 and 17 years – consent of both parents, or the parent having sole legal custody, or guardian, or judicial approval is required.
  • Younger than 16 – consent of parents or guardian and judicial approval (Court order) are required – NO EXCEPTIONS!

Blood Tests

As of July 1, 1989, blood tests are not required for either party in the State of Colorado.

Prohibited Marriages

A couple may not marry when one of the parties is still married to another person. Divorces must be final! Marriage between ancestor and descendant, brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew (whether the relationship is by half or whole blood) is prohibited. Marriage between cousins is permitted in Colorado.

Marriage License Application

Both parties must complete and sign a marriage application form (which can be picked up at the Clerk & Recorder's Office in the Delta County Courthouse, 501 Palmer Street, in Delta, or by selecting the link to the online marriage license application located in the left-hand column of this page).  If one of the parties cannot appear in person because he or she is incarcerated, they must complete an affidavit received from our office with their signature notarized. A couple already married who wish to renew their marriage vows, or those who have a common law marriage may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other.


Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (C.R.S. 14-2-109). Others who can solemnize a marriage are judges, retired judges, magistrates, public officials authorized to perform marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious denomination or Indian Tribe or Nation. Although the couple may solemnize their own marriage, that does not mean a friend or relative can also solemnize their marriage. Clergy from out-of-state need not be registered in Colorado.


The person solemnizing the marriage shall complete the marriage certificate and forward it to the County Clerk and Recorder within 63 days after solemnizing. Any person who fails to forward the marriage certificate to the County Clerk and Recorder’s office shall be required to pay a $20.00 late fee and an additional $5.00 late fee may be assessed for each additional day of failure to file the certificate, up to a maximum of $50.00.


Witnesses are not required in the State of Colorado. Some clergy, judge or public official may request them.